Nowadays website owners and first question from the mind of users who want to open a new website will be security precautions. In today’s post, we will focus on one of these security measures.
With our web browsers and many ftp (file transfer protocol) programs we use our servers and normal ip and regular ip addresses to access our hosting packages. However, there is a very important information that we do not know;
Information transferred on normal ports can be viewed by users who have been able to listen on the network.
If we could just tell it a little more. You can see the contents of the files you send from users who access your computer via internet, modem, router or users via fake (pseudo) methods. Of course, the people who can do this operation are the people at the top level, so it is a difficult process to do.
Despite all the obstacles, it is very unlikely that such an incident will happen. But if you do not want this low possibility at all, then this is the right word for you.
HTTPS – What is a Secure Port?
Data transfer protocols are generally systems that allow raw data to be sent directly over the network. The secure port is encrypted with special cryptographic certificates to reduce the level of readability by anyone other than the target computer or server.
That is, information and requests transferred or sent are encrypted or sent or received. As a result, even someone who is listening or watching you on the network can not read or see your information.
Therefore, today guarantees, job bank, finance bench, akbank, HSBC, PayPal, Google Checkout shopping site checkout pages, thyme, aircraft carriers and many to enumerate the millions of banks such as Pegasus, financial institutions, input panels provide transactions with SSL certificatesthrough a secure port.
What we are interested in here is how do we use secure ports when entering hosting accounts or file servers?
Sending and Receiving Data to the Server over a Secure Port
A.) Browser-Based Communications: The services we buy, be the first to use the browser on the server and shared hosting account control panel-connecting to secure our ports must support this feature. Hostgator is a company that supports almost all of these systems.
To find out if you have this support on your system, talk to your hosting company, which is your service provider. If this is supported, here’s how to make a secure connection according to the type of control panel below.
You can login safely by entering one of the following commands in the address part of your browser.
Plesk Control Panel
For this system, the server companies usually prepare private entrance pages. Please note that the URLs https at the beginning of logging.
B.) Secure FTP Program: Well, our files and source codes of CuteFTP site, we put through FTP programs like SmartFTP should we do? The important thing here is which transfer program we use. But in general, all you have to do is shudder;
– First, you need to enable FTPS or SFTP options while adding ip against ftp program
– Rope address, username and password are entered
– Finally, port operations are being done. Buda hosting changes to 2222 or 22 depending on the company.
Once you have done this, your data transfers will take place over the secure port.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using HTTPS and Secure Port
1) Advantages: Once all of the information you send is encrypted transfers therefore important software on your site, pictures, images can not be viewed by people you do not want or can not be known. This is the main purpose of using a secure port anyway.
2) Disadvantages: The biggest problem is that all the servers of the company is demanding that does not support these protocols or additional fees. Another disadvantage is that the encrypted data is transferred more slowly, which is why data is sent and received at a slower rate.
– Let’s get our server address ip at 126.96.36.199 and get a control panel working with cPanel. Let’s use HostGator as the server. How do you log in via the browser and ftp with a secure port on all this information now?
A.) Using a browser;
– You can log in to the address by typing https://www.deneme.com:2083 or https://www.deneme.com/cpanel/.
– You can connect to https system via secure port by entering 188.8.131.52:2083 in the address part.
B.) Using Smart FTP:
– Open the Smart FTP program. From the top menu, click the File -> Counter explorer tab or press CTRL + N.
– Select SFTP in the information section after this operation. Enter the server address, user name, and password.
– Write Port 2222 and finish adding.
With this example, we predict you understand more clearly. If you are using a different server company, ftp program, you can forward your questions to us below.
Questions and Answers
How to access Secure Port with SSH?
SSH and FTP programs work almost identically. The only difference is that ftp programs are easier to use because they have a graphical interface. If you are asking how to do this for Linux in this matter;
Ssh -p 2222 username @ ip_address
In the above section, replace the part with the username cPanel username and the part with the ip with the server ip address.
Is Secure Port Supporting My Scanner?
Today’s browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari all support SSL and https systems.
How slow is the transfer rate?
We mentioned that the connection speed is lowered in transfers made over the secure protocol above. The deceleration rate varies between 10% and 50%. It takes quite a long time to process very large and large number of file transfers. Our biggest recommendation in this regard is to send the files one by one with zip or gzip and open them on the server.
I got an error when logging in with https What should I do?
If you get a verification error during login, please make sure you enter the password and user name correctly. Especially point out whether there are characters that are not visible in spaces and sides. In the case of copy / paste operations from the browser, these gap errors are frequent.
How do I get secure access if I use Dedicated, VPS and Dedicated Server?
Everything we have told so far includes all hosting services such as shared, reseller, shared systems, shared server, rental server. The important point is that you have to find the access ports by the company you buy the hosting service from. Other basic operations are as described above.